On April 8, 2010, a ceremony was held at the Governor's Residence and Heritage Garden to help promote fundraising efforts for the creation of the Lloyd Medicinal Garden. In addition, a display area was created in the Carriage House Restroom to educate visitors on the history of pharmacy in Ohio and tie it to the medicinal garden when it was planted.
The Lloyd Medicinal Garden is named after John Uri Lloyd (1849-1936), a Cincinnati pharmacist who was an active member of OPA, a past president of APhA, and a three-time recipient of APhA's Ebert Prize for original research in pharmacy. He was a well-respected professor at the University of Cincinnati College of Pharmacy from 1883 to 1887. He also won deserved recognition from his colleagues for his work in chemistry, making him one of the most noted pharmacists and chemists of his era.
Lloyd's innovative work with plants will serve as the inspiration for the medicinal addition to the Governor's Residence and Heritage Garden, and will feature many medicinal plants that Lloyd and his pharmacist brothers utilized.
Those present included Ohio's First Lady Frances Strickland and former First Lady Hope Taft, who is spearheading the project. Representing the Ohio Pharmacists Association were President Dale Bertke, President-Elect Matthew Fettman, Past President Don Bennett, Executive Director Ernest Boyd, and Assistant Executive Director Amy Bennett. The American Pharmacists Association was represented by CEO and Executive Vice President Thomas Menighan, President-Elect Marialice Bennett, and President-Elect Candidate Jenelle Sobotka. Also attending were Executive Director of the Lloyd Library and Museum Maggie Heran; Professor Emeritus J. Richard Wuest and Suzanne Eastman Wuest from the University of Cincinnati College of Pharmacy; and Carol Mundy, Naturalist, Glenwood Gardens, Hamilton County Park District.